Thursday, August 19, 2010

#160 Make Your Own Organic Teething Biscuits

Man! These were so simple & so cheap to make compared to buying the organic teething biscuits in the store. The last box of store bought organic biscuits I bought cost me a little under $2 and I got 12 biscuits. I made 21 biscuits (so, 75% more) for the same price. And all you need is 3 ingredients: whole wheat flour, jar of baby food & maple syrup.

My son loves them! And what I love is that they are not as messy as the store bought ones and they are lasting longer than the store bought ones too. Makes this mama happy!


Organic Teething Biscuits

2 C organic white whole wheat flour
1 jar of organic baby food (applesauce, pear sauce, or apple & banana sauce)
1/2 C organic maple syrup

Directions: Preheat oven to 300 degrees. In a medium size bowl, mix all ingredients by hand until all ingredients are mixed. Then turn dough onto a floured surface and knead (adding more flour as needed) to create a pliable ball that isn't sticky. Roll out dough to 1/3 inch thick and cut out biscuits. If you don't have circle cookie cutters, you can use a rim of a cup for the larger circle and a plastic bottle cap to cut out the center circle. Or you can always cut them into bars too. Bake for 30 minutes. Let cool. They are ready to be eaten as soon as they cool, but will harden even stiffer if you leave them out for 8-12 hours. Store in air tight container and use within 2-3 weeks.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Also...the recipe worked great. I wanted to try to use this Pamela's Baking Mix, which is wheat-free. So, the only changes I would make is to use 2 1/2 or 2 3/4 cups Pamela's mix, instead of just 2 cups. Also when you're rolling it out, you have to use a lot of flour to keep it from being sticky. Definitely keep it 1/3 thick. Most importantly, Bake for 1/2 the time: 15 minutes at most. My 6 month old son absolutely loves them...I don't actually mind them either for a snack!! :)