Monday, December 19, 2011

Review: Starfall.com


I had the opportunity to review More.Starfall.com for 1 month with my children for free. I have to say that I love Starfall and did before we even tried out all the new options they added. I started using Starfall.com with my daughter when she was 19 months old. She couldn't get enough of it. We primarily used the ABC's program, but we also did some of the other animated  activities. I am not sure if these results are typical, but within a month she knew her entire alphabet phonetically and knew all of her letters by name and phonetically and the alphabet from rote memory by the time she was 2 years old. And I believe it was all thanks to the repetition of doing this program with her an average of 4 times a week for 10-15 minutes each time. And now as a kindergartner she has started the Accelerated Reader program at her school.

This is a collage I made when my daughter was 19 months old and had just started Starfall.com.

Well, enough of what sounds like bragging about my daughter, because I got totally busy being a parent to two kids that I dropped the ball on starting it with my son until recently when he turned two. Plus, remember that each child is different and develops different skills at different times. My son has been all about gross motor skills and less about communication skills and it was just recently that he has started speaking more words and expressing an interest in wanting to learn more words. My daughter was the opposite.



Please don't get the idea that Starfall.com is only for toddlers. It is not at all. On the free part of the site there are also program to help your child learn to read, continue to read, and access reading through art, magic, music, poetry, tongue twisters & riddles. The program continues to grow with them through elementary school. And you can even access the ABC's, Snowman program & Gingerbread program through Apps that you can purchase on iTunes for as low as 99 cents.

With More.Starfall.com, BOTH my children can continue to learn from it and will be able to for several years.



What you get when you purchase More.Starfall.com is the addition of Math (including programs for numbers, math songs, addition & subtraction, multiplication & division), Colors, Books, Word Machines, Vowel Pals, Songs & Rhymes (including programs for nursery rhymes, motion songs, nursery rhyme videos, ABC rhymes, & folk songs) and more phonics.



You can join More.Starfall.com for only $35 a year. Or considering purchasing it as a last minute gift for your children, grandchildren or that special child in your life.

Check out this video of the kids listening to and engaging with Starfall through the Movement Song "Teddy Bear, Teddy Bear".

1 comment:

Jen said...

Great review! My kiddos also love this website :)