Thursday, April 17, 2014

Thifty Thursday: Make Your Own Apple & Potato Chips


Ok, I know, potato chips are cheap so you are probably not saving money using your Pampered Chef Chip Maker (plus you need to buy one of them too - but try to find one at a yard sale, or if you find yourself at a party and feel like you need to buy something, then think about this because you can make Fat Free Chips!!!) But have you ever bought apple chips. I do and while they are tasty it ends up costing $1 an ounce for organic apple chips. That can be spendy, but over time your investment in a chip maker will save you money if you regularly make your family apple chips and potato chips.



The other tool I use to help me make them is a mandoline slicer. It's a fantastic too that makes it so easy to make REALLY thin cuts. Some of you might have a slicer attachment for your food processor, or maybe you are just gifted at making really thin cuts with a knife (btw - I am so jealous of this skill!)


I've tried making these chips in the oven and while you can do it, it is faster in the microwave.

So, if you love potato chips but avoided them because of the added fat they contain, then there is not need to worry. You use NO oil whatsoever to make these. In fact the only thing I add to my potato chips is salt and I sometimes add plain cinnamon to my apple chips.

Specific instructions are included with your chip maker and there are differing cooking times depending upon the strength of your microwave, so it is best to consult those instructions.

11 comments:

BCallahan said...

Awesome! Looks super easy! We have made chips before but not apple ones.

CouponDiva said...

nothing like a potato chip that's sweet...... :D

Unknown said...

We love apple chips but I have not ever tried making them. Thanks for sharing!

Christi said...

This looks amazing. I wonder how well sweet potatoes would be?

Felicia said...

I need to get something to thinly slice my potatoes and fruit with. My food processor just doesn't cut it.

I'd love to have fresh apple chips and veggie chips year round. Yum!

MaryJane Tauyan said...

wow this is such a nice thing to do. I rarely eat chip coz i am not a fan of salty foods but more on peppery foods

Unknown said...

Those look so good and I love that you can make them fat free and whatever flavor you want.

Michelle F.

Unknown said...

Woow. i never thought of this.. I thought chips are only for potato. would love to try this at home. Thank you for sharing!

Hoda said...

Ahh what a great idea! Definitely going to try this out asap! Thanks for this! xx

<(`) Hoda || JooJoo Azad ~ Free Bird

Unknown said...

Great recipe! Healthy snack! Thanks for sharing!

Julie said...

Oooh! I have to try this. I love apple chips and you are right, they are expensive.