Thursday, July 23, 2009

#59 Choices for Fabric Softener

The cost of dryer sheets can add up over the course of a year. Ask yourself why you use it and what it is about dryer sheets or fabric softener that you enjoy. Most cost effective alternatives would be to add vinegar to the rinse cycle instead of fabric softener, cut dryer sheets in thirds, use dryer balls, or dab essential oil on rag & throw in dryer with clothes. You can also purchase eco-friendly made fabric softeners to use in the washer. When I need to, I use Seventh Generation fabric softener, but I regularly use my dryer balls and have used vinegar & essential oils. I haven't used dryer sheets in several years.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I make a very simple and inexpensive fabric softener. I take a gallon water bottle and mix the following items: 1 - 15 oz. bottle of Suave Naturals Refreshing Waterfall mist Hair Conditioner, 1 qt. of white vinegar and fill the remainder of the bottle with tap water. Shake well before each use. In Maine, we have a branch of "Dollar Tree Stores" this is where I purchase my conditioner and vinegar, therefore the cost for the gallon of fabric softener is $2.00.