When I laid out the sheet, I realized just how much fabric was available to use and how little I was actually going to use making this dress. I decided I am going to try and see just how many dresses or pieces of clothing I can make out of this one queen-size flat sheet. And since it's 100% cotton, it should dye nicely, so you will see some of that coming soon.
Anyways, I didn't have a pattern I was working from, so I took a jumper-style dress that currently fits her and cut around it with enough extra on the sides to allow for seams. Next came the sewing parts where I stitched my side seams and shoulder seams and hemmed my armholes and neck hole. I actually placed the bottom of the dress even with the bottom of the sheet so that there was already a perfect finish at the bottom & left me with one less step to do.
You can read more of the step-by-step on the Sugar Bee blog about how the dress was embellished and I will give you my short version here.
Using a sewing pencil, I traced around a ribbon spool to create the eyes & buttons (then cut the inner circle of the button just smaller so you could see the layer) and traced around the lid from a baby food jar to create the circle for the mouth. The carrot nose I drew freehand. I used felt for all of the pieces except the inner circle (which you might be starting to recognize this fabric.) And then I stitched each of the pieces on.
And that's it. It was pretty quick and easy to whip together. Considering the sheet was just sitting around here not being used and the fabric & thread where leftovers. All I really purchased was the felt pieces, which were pretty inexpensive.