I've cleaned up a lasagna recipe and made it in the slow cooker. This is perfect for those days when you are not going to be home for that hour it takes to cook in the oven. Now you can come home and have it on the table as soon as you walk in the door.
Slow Cooker Lasagna Recipe
1 pound ground turkey
1 med onion, chopped
8 oz whole wheat lasagna or Dreamfields lasagna noodles (9 noodles)
1 29 oz can of crushed tomatoes
1 tsp basil
1 tsp oregano
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 med zucchini, sliced
1/2 package frozen carrot coins
2 C cottage cheese
2 C shredded mozzarella
- Brown ground turkey with onions to a deep frying pan.
- Add crushed tomatoes, basil, oregano, and garlic to browned meat. Cook to a simmer.
- Spray inside of 6qt. crockpot with non-stick cooking spray.
- Spread a thin layer of sauce mixture on the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Mix together the cottage cheese and 1 1/2 C mozzarella, reserve the other 1/2 C for the top.
- Begin layering noodles (you should have 9 noodles, use 3 per layer) then 1/3 of the sauce, then 1/2 of the vegetables, and 1/3 the cheese mixture.
- Repeat above layer.
- Final layer will be 3 noodles, the remaining sauce, the remaining cheese mixture.
- Cook in a Slow Cooker on low for 4-6 hours.
- When there is 10 minutes left, top with reserved 1/2 C mozzarella cheese.