Tuesday, January 31, 2012

How to Make a No Sew Pocho

My daughter is in a bit of a poncho phase. She has one she likes and I thought I would make her a new one that does not take any sewing.

My daughter is about 6 years old and so I needed about 3/4 of a yard of fleece. If you were making this for a girl 4 & under, I believe 1/2 yard would be sufficient. You need to use fleece in order for this to be a no-sew project.

I trimmed the fabric to the desired length, as well as trimmed away the curled edges. The I folded the fabric in half the long way and then in half again the short way. I then lined up my folded edges along the measuring guide.

Cutting the circular bottom was made easy by the fact that by measuring guide has arcs drawn on it as a guide to cut out a circular piece. My overall length of the front and back of the poncho is 18".

The next step (sorry, forgot to take a picture) is to cut the hole for the head. I unfolded it once (the short way)  and left it folded the long way. I then used a bowl to create this small arc and cut through the fabric with my rotary tool on to a self-healing mat (bu you could just use a scissors if you wish.)

So, you could stop right here and have a poncho like the one pictured above, no sewing involved whatsoever.  Of if you want you could take it a step further and do some minimal hand stitching and add pockets or some other kind of embellishment.

My daughter picked out the fabric she wanted and as much as I like the pattern, I thought it would look sweet to break it up a little by adding heart-shaped pockets. To keep hand-stitching to a minimum, be sure to use either fleece or felt when cutting out pockets.

I plan to add some pockets and maybe embellish around the collar. I will post a picture of it when I am finished.

2 comments:

Sara Lehman said...

This is a really cool idea!
Thanks for sharing!
I'm following you via GFC!
http://sweetsillysarasara.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

buy propecia online generic propecia available canada - generic finasteride versus propecia