Thursday, January 19, 2012

Making a Juice Lid Snowman Activity

I have been collecting juice lids for a while because they just seem like a good start to a project. I got the idea to make snowmen out of them after I was watching my daughter play with her snowman felt board and commenting that she wished we could build a real snowman. Yes, me too dear! And then it occurred to me that the juice lid I just washed would make a good ball of snow once I painted it white.

I started out by painting 6 lids (plus the large craft sticks for the snowman craft we did at our snow play date) with 2 coats of white acrylic paint. After I painted the second coat I sprinkled glitter (silver, light blue and pink) on three of the lids to give it that new snow sparkle (PLUS, Glitter is FUN!)

Next I gathered a variety of supplies (craft foam, buttons, googly eyes, & felt) and started hot gluing individually cut (by me) magnet (from a roll) on the back of each item.

I also glued a magnet strip on the back of each painted juice lid as well. I thought it was necessary to use a magnet on everything so that toddlers don't get frustrated that pieces don't stay in place and then we can make our snowman over & over. I made a couple extra pieces, but we could mix the pieces up in to a variety of different combinations.

And then you play with it on a cookie sheet. Next week I will provide you with another idea for a magnetic activity using a cookie sheet.

2 comments:

Valerie @ Frugal Family Fun Blog said...

What a fun idea!!! I always save those juice lids too! :-)

Jen said...

It was a great playdate! My boys (ages 2 and 5) both loved this activity :) Thank you!!