Thursday, January 19, 2012

Making a Juice Lid Snowman Activity

I have been collecting juice lids for a while because they just seem like a good start to a project. I got the idea to make snowmen out of them after I was watching my daughter play with her snowman felt board and commenting that she wished we could build a real snowman. Yes, me too dear! And then it occurred to me that the juice lid I just washed would make a good ball of snow once I painted it white.

I started out by painting 6 lids (plus the large craft sticks for the snowman craft we did at our snow play date) with 2 coats of white acrylic paint. After I painted the second coat I sprinkled glitter (silver, light blue and pink) on three of the lids to give it that new snow sparkle (PLUS, Glitter is FUN!)

Next I gathered a variety of supplies (craft foam, buttons, googly eyes, & felt) and started hot gluing individually cut (by me) magnet (from a roll) on the back of each item.

I also glued a magnet strip on the back of each painted juice lid as well. I thought it was necessary to use a magnet on everything so that toddlers don't get frustrated that pieces don't stay in place and then we can make our snowman over & over. I made a couple extra pieces, but we could mix the pieces up in to a variety of different combinations.

And then you play with it on a cookie sheet. Next week I will provide you with another idea for a magnetic activity using a cookie sheet.

3 comments:

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

What a fun idea!!! I always save those juice lids too! :-)

Jen said...

It was a great playdate! My boys (ages 2 and 5) both loved this activity :) Thank you!!

Anonymous said...

Attaching white felt circles to the lids allows you to add felt decorations along with magnetic decorations. Use an extra couple to attach extra pieces to the side for a variety of felt scarves and hats and colored buttons. And carrot noses of course! Tiny dots of velcro on the back of the accessories is optional so the creations hold together better.