Monday, September 2, 2013

Make It Monday: Rainbow Pancakes


It's the last weekend of summer and my kids wanted something REALLY special for breakfast. Yes, these are just regular pancakes, there are no special flavorings. What makes them special is that I took TIME to make these because I had to pour and split the batter among 6 sandwich bags, put in food coloring, and squeeze them together to mix the color in to the batter. Then I had to cut the end off each baggie and squeeze some batter in to the skillet. It was a little putzy, but for a special breakfast it is worth it. I used pancake mix we had leftover  from camping that used white flour, which I imagine would give you the brightest color, but there is no reason you couldn't try this with whole wheat flour, it just might look darker.

4 comments:

Melanie S said...

My kids love pancakes. They go nuts if I surprised them with something like that!

Suzi Satterfield said...

I love pancakes! One thing that I like to do in the holidays is use metal cookie cutters as "pancake moulds." Adding seasonally appropriate food colour would be just awesome.

The Yogi Vegetarian said...

Lovely treat for kids of all ages :)

Unknown said...

Whoa! What a bright treat for kiddos! I think I would probably try vegetable dyes for this, or just use pureed berries (made a batch using compote last week).