Monday, November 5, 2012

Double Your Meatloaf with Beans in This Recipe!

Double the size of your meatloaf at a fraction of the cost, fat & calories by using Van Camps pork & beans instead of doubling your meat. This recipe still has a pound of ground beef, so they won't even know that a second pound is missing for such a large loaf that SERVES 8. 

I often see Van Camps pork & beans on sale for 2/$1 or even sometimes I have seen it as a loss-leader for 3/$1. Instead of paying $3 for another pound of ground beef, you could pay 50-cents or less. Give it a try!

When I made this, my husband knew I did something to it since I am always doing something to a recipe to make it healthier but he had no idea that it was beans in there for half the ground beef until I showed him a bean that I had not mashed very well.

Also be sure to read my post on Northern Cheapskate titled "Learn to Stretch Your Budget with Beans"


Meat and Beans Meatloaf Recipe
2 eggs, beaten
1 1/4 C fine dry bread crumbs
1/2 C finely chopped onion
1/2 C shredded carrot
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 pound ground beef
1 15 oz can Van Camps Pork & Beans, mashed
Ketchup for the top, optional

Directions:
*Preheat oven to 375 degrees
* Beat eggs in a separate bowl
* Mash beans with sauce in a bowl using a hand potato masher
*Combine eggs, beans. bread crumbs, onion, carrots, basil, oregano and beef in a bowl
*Mix well - I find the best way it to use your clean hands to mix meatloaf and to shape in to a loaf
*Shape mixture and place in a bread loaf pan
*Top with ketchup, if desired
* Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour



3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow--beans who would have thought--but you know its worth a try--we have to stretch everything here--so its worth the shot at it--thanks--I'll try it with the meats balls, and noodle dish we are making for dinner to night/

Unknown said...

I bet you could put other beans to pump up the fiber too
thx

Mom of Two said...

I chose the pork & beans because the color would blend and anyone who was resistant to having their meatloaf change might be ok with it because it looks the same, but I am sure other beans would work as long as you compensate for the liquid too.