Friday, November 29, 2013

Fitness Friday: Putting On Weight!




Pppppfff! Not that kind of weight! I am not complaining about gaining weight or saying I need to gain weight. I am actually pretty happy with where I am and insurance charts confirm that. So, I'm good. What I am talking about is increasing my weights in my Strength and Bootcamp Classes.

The past few days I was thinking about what I was going to share with you for my Fitness Friday post this week and then I went to Strength Class and increased my weights. My arms were trembling by the end of class, during the stretching at the end and were still trembling on the drive home that I couldn't hold my arms at 10 and 2, I had to rest them on my lap and hold them at 6. It wasn't just the fact that I went up in weight, but that combined with the goal of the instructor to get us to completely fatigue our arms today. I would say that she succeeded!

It was just a few short months ago that I was lifting weights 3 pounds heavier than what I have now. I was lifting 12 pound weights in each hand and now I just moved up to 9, which means I had to drop down to 8 pounds weights after a few months of not having Strength and Bootcamp classes. Yes, I did do my Shred video 1-2x weekly which uses weights in addition to running 3x a week (remember I was training for my half marathon, so I had looooong runs!) and yoga 2x a week, but that wasn't cutting it.

So, now I am putting on weight! My goal was to move up to 9 pounds in each hand before Thanksgiving and then my goal will be to move up to 10 pounds by Christmas and hopefully back to 12 pounds by Valentine's Day. These goals give me something to work towards as I don't have any pending races that I am signed up for until next May (don't worry, there will be some, I just am not a huge fan of outdoor winter running.) Goals are good for me.

What kind of fitness goals do you have?

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I love weight lifting, although I can't do much at once. I may go lift weights after breakfast!

mail4rosey said...

Good luck with your goals! I love that trembling feeling you're talking about, it feels like a good workout when the muscles you seldom use so much are letting you know!

couponwahm said...

Never been much on lifting weights but I sure do need to start. My arms are getting so flabby. Thanks for the motivation!

Denmark said...

Just started here but I'm not yet on your stage. I'm trying to lose weight first and hopefully soon I can start using weight/s. Good luck to us!

Nicole Fabian said...

My shoulders were killing me! I love strength class...it has helped me slim down :)

jheylo said...

Good luck to your fitness goal. I wanted to buy weights, I seen walmart has it for $5 each and it was just a lighter one, which is perfect for zumba or combat dance.

Unknown said...

My fitness goals are to tone up my abs and butt, as well as put on a little muscle in my arms.