Tuesday, February 3, 2015

40 Ideas for Valentine Accelerated Reader Books for 3rd Grade




I developed this list because my daughter is in 3rd grade and I volunteer in her classroom for a couple hours every week. Sometimes I do projects I have planned with them, and other times I bring in an Accelerated Reader (AR) book that I will read to them and they can take a test to help them make their AR goals and much of the time I am there to listen to them read to me or help them with some homework. I thought if I started to develop a list this would be helpful to other parents and teachers looking for book ideas. I only have enough time to read them a .5 book, so that is why I developed my list as such. I am sure I will be happy I made this list when my son is at this reading level.

3.0
Cranberry Valentine by Wende Devlin
Monster Boy's Valentine by Carl Emerson
Nate the Great and the Mushy Valentine by Marjorie Sharmat
Panda's Valentine Day by Tara Morrow
The Biggest Valentine Ever by Steven Kroll
The Very Fairy Princess Follows Her Heart by Julie Andrews
Will You Be My Valentine? by Steven Kroll

3.1
Happy Valentine's Day, Miss Hildy! by Lois Grambling
Love Splat by Rob Scotton
The Best Valentine in the World by Marjorie Sharmat
Valentine's Day from the Black Lagoon by Mike Thaler

3.2
Amelia Bedelia's First Valentine by Herman Parish
Happy Valentine's Day Delores by Barbard Samuels
Ruby Save Valentine's Day by Laurie Friedman
Spongebob's Secret Valentine by David Lewman
The Ballad of Valentine by Alison Jackson
The Berenstain Bears' Funny Valentine by Stan Berenstain
The Valentine Express by Nancy Wallace
Triplet Trouble and the Red Heart Race by Debbie Dadey
Valentine's Day in Vicarstown by W. Awdry

3.3
Four Valentines in a Rainstorm by Felcia Bond
Love and Kisses Eloise by Marc Cheshire
Love Ruby Valentine by Laurie Friedman
Olivia and the Perfect Valentine by Natalie Shaw
Queen of Hearts by Mary Engelbreit
The Night Before Valentine's Day by Natasha Wing
The Valentine's Day Mix-Up by Amy Ackelsberg

3.4
A Charlie Brown Valentine by Charles Schultz
Pink of Hearts by Victoria Kann
Roses are Pink, Your Feet Really Stink by Diane deGroat
Snowy Valentine by David Petersen
Today is Valentine's Day by P.K. Hallihan

3.5
A String of Hearts by Laura Elliot
My Funny Valentine by Jon Barry
Ruby Valentine and the Sweet Surprise by Laurie Friendman

3.6
I Love You Grumpy Bunny by Justine Korman

3.8
A Valentine for Norman Noggs by Valiska Gregory
The Berenstain Bears' Comic Valentine by Stan Berenstain

3.9
The Runaway Valentine by Tina Casey
Somebody Loves You, Mr. Hatch by Eileen Spinelli

7 comments:

Buzz4Mommies said...

I have a kiddo in 3rd grade and I really appreciate this! I am bookmarking this list and we will be checking these out! Thanks so much!!

Mom of Two said...

Heidi - I will be doing more of these lists. The next one will be for St. Patrick's Day (levels 3.5-4.5) and then I will be doing some kindergarten levels as well.

Mom Knows Best said...

I have a 1st and 2nd grader who would love reading these books. Thanks for the list

Linda A Kinsman said...

This is a great list! I know we have several of the books you listed in storage for when my kids have children. :)

The Minister's Wife said...

I'll have to share this list with my friend who is homeschooling! She's looking for more books for her daughter!

Jamie said...

What a great list!! So many fun stories for kids, I love it!

Missy Schutz said...

THESE ARE SO CUTE!! THANK YOU FOR SHARING:)