Are these not just the most darling little things you ever have seen. I made these for my newest nephew that was born 6 months ago.
To make these you need the Knifty Knitter Flower Loom (or another 4 1/2" loom, the KK one is the peach colored smallest round loom.)
If you have mastered the basic e-wrap stitch, then these should be a piece of cake and are a great next item to make after you have made a baby hat (yes, I gave a matching baby hat as well.)
You want to want these to be thick and warm for their little feet, so you will either need to double up and use 2 strands of weight 4 or 5 yarn, or a single strand of weight 6. I used double strands of a weight 5 yarn that is made from alpaca wool (so soft!)
- Cast on your double strands around the loom on all pegs once, do not go around again.
- Next cast on your e-wrap stitches in the OPPOSITE direction, ending at the first peg you started with. You will have 4 strands on each peg now.
- Pull over the first 2 strands
- Continue to e-wrap around the loom in the first direction until you get to the last peg. Then pull over your bottom 2 strands.
- Keep casting on & pulling over with this pattern until you have created 7 rows. This is creating the hole with which the foot is slid in to and we will hand stitch the heel later.
- After you have pulled over the 7th set of strands, continue e-wrapping in the SAME direction that you cast on.
- Pull the bottom 2 strands over the top 2 strands and continue your e-wrap in the same direction. Do this until you have created 9 rows.
- After you have finished the 9 rows, take the stitches off by threading a piece of yarn through the casts remaining on the loom and then pulling them tight (just as you do on a hat.)
- Finally, thread a needle with yarn and hand stitch closed the heel.
- Your have now finished a pair of booties. I made little pom poms and just weaved a piece of yarn through the foot hole to add ornamentation.
This is a fun and easy project that you can do while sitting and watching a movie.