Tuesday, January 6, 2015

DIY School Sweatshirt


This Christmas my husband asked for a sweatshirt in school colors with the emblem of M on it, which is the same M for the University of Minnesota Gophers and our own school district. Problem it, my husband NEEDS a tall, not wants, he needs one otherwise the sleeves and length are just not long enough. Well, the problem with that problem is NO ONE makes one. Ugh! There is no use buying one when after a couple of washes it would shrink up and be way to small and a waste of money. So, my solution was to buy a Tall sweatshirt (JC Penney has a good selection of Big and Tall items, plus we have one locally to pick up and returns online orders for free) and use some iron-on tranfer printer paper (I used stuff I have had for years made by Hewlett Packard) and printed out the logo. The transfer paper looks best on lighter fabrics, but you can't really tell from this picture but the ties are a darker cream color with brass metal ends, so it has a vintage feel and the color that the iron-on transfer turned out really worked with the vintage feel.

This was a present from my daughter and myself to my husband (since it was more than she was spending, but I let her do the ironing). Since the sweatshirt was kinda pricey (I was trying to find a combination of both a Tall and a maroon color, so my options were limited) so we tried it out on a cheaper t-shirt first and she gave that to her brother for Christmas as well.

7 comments:

Ben said...

This is great. I have the same problem....I need tall shirts but I can't find them for my university. I'll have to give this a try.

Ashley S said...

What a cool and fun idea!!

Unknown said...

This looks like a great idea. And pretty easy too!

Laura Funk said...

Good idea, you should check into a silouhette machine!

Jamie said...

Great idea!! Just be careful if the school had trademarks on their logo, you could get in trouble. Otherwise, it's great to make your own! :)

Mom Knows Best said...

This is a great way to save money.Those school sweats are very pricey.

Christy G said...

This is a fabulous idea. Thank you for sharing.