Monday, January 19, 2015

Overnight Creme Brule French Toast


This is always a family favorite, so much so I even put it my husband's family cook book. If I am making this for more than just our family, I make the full recipe as listed below. If I am making it just for our family of four then I half the recipe and bake it in an 8x8 pan. This is delicious and we often serve a dollop of whip cream on top.

This is a great make-ahead breakfast and you just need to get up in the morning and toss it in the oven. You will impress everyone with how awesome this tastes. I just made this again for Christmas at my parents house.




Creme Brule French Toast

½ cup butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 Tbsp corn syrup
1 loaf of French bread, cut into thick slices
5 eggs
1½ cups half-and-half cream
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
Dash of cinnamon

Directions:

  • In a sauce pan, melt butter with brown sugar and corn syrup until it is a smooth brown syrup
  • Pour mixture in a greased 13x9 cake pan and cover entire surface
  • Place slices of bread on top of the syrup mixture
  • Mix together remaining ingredients 
  • Pour egg mixture over the top of the slices making sure to cover the tops off all the slices, it will all soap in to the slices as it rests
  • Cover and place in the fridge overnight 
  • Bake uncovered at 350 degree for 30 minutes
  • Remove from pan and serve immediately
  • Top with whipped cream, if desired



4 comments:

slehan said...

That looks FANTASTIC! I like that you make it the night before and then just heat it the next morning.

slehan at juno dot com

Unknown said...

Goodness, this looks so delicious. I would eat this day/night or anytime in between.

LauraJJ said...

Oh that looks so good! I am always looking for easy breakfasts in the morning, and love how this is refrigerated overnight! Cant wait to try it!

Kristie said...

I LOVE creme brulee! This looks fast, easy and delicious! Thank you! kristiedonelson(at)gmail(dot)com Thank you.