Thursday, August 29, 2013

Thrifty Thursday: How to Freeze Eggplant


Do you have an over abundance of eggplant? Or perhaps you have been indulging in cheap prices on them at
the Farmer's Market or grocery store? Once winter comes, the price will go up and you will be thankful you got some in the freezer so that you can make some eggplant lasagna or parmigiana.



How to Freeze Eggplant
* Bring a pot of water to boil
* Add 1/2 C lemon juice for every gallon of water
* Fill a bowl with ice water and set aside
* Cut eggplant in to 1/3" slices (peel beforehand if you like)
* Blanch slices for 4 minutes then quickly transfer to ice water
* Allow slices to sit in the ice water for 4 minutes
* Drain the slices and place them in a freezer safe container

I froze them in gallon sized freezer bags and stacked in a single layer on a cookie sheet until slices were completely frozen (then you can move them and they won't be stuck together.)


8 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks! I love eggplant, but my husband only tolerates it, so I have to throw very small amounts into food. This is great. I'll buy eggplant next week.

Vinma said...

Thanks! This is great tip! I am not that much of a fan of eggplant but my husband is! Will certainly try this out :)

Valerie said...

I could have used this when we belonged to a CSA and got tons of eggplant! It's a great way not to waste any.

Suzi Satterfield said...

It never would have occurred to me to blanch it before freezing! Thanks.

Tabitha said...

This is a great idea. My local CSA has lots of eggplant and I have been finding creative ways to sneak it in my kids food so I doesn't go bad.

Anonymous said...

how long can it last in the freezer? just a rough esimate is good.

Unknown said...

can you layer them on parchment paper cover and freeze and then put in freezer bags, or vacuum seal?

Sherry's Way... said...

If your family likes Stove Top Dressing, contact me, sskologinczak@gmail.com...I'll give you my recipe for eggplant! They'll love it!