Wednesday, October 9, 2013
Review: Milk Unleashed!
My family recently had the opportunity to review a variety of shelf stable milk from Milk Unleashed. While we are not unfamiliar with shelf stable milk, we had not tried most of these varieties and have not seen all them in the store so it was fun to try new things out. In the past we have tried both Organic Valley choices and I typically buy them as a pack of 12 on Amazon where they cost less than a dollar a piece. Our favorite is the chocolate.
After trying the shelf stable Hershey's chocolate milk I did buy it at the grocery store to bring along for a recent lunch play date for my son and a friend and it was on sale at $1.99 for a three pack. As I type this, my daughter is enjoying the third milk in that pack in her lunch.
My favorite uses for shelf stable milk are to bring them along when we are camping or up to our cabin. I don't always want to take up a lot of cooler space with a larger container of milk, so having individual portions that do not have to be refrigerated is perfect. We use one container as needed and don't worry about the rest spoiling.
Also, I love to have shelf stable milk to bring along when I am meeting a friend for a long run or if I am doing double workout classes. I bring along a milk and a banana and leave them in my workout bag or the car and and replenish my body right away after working out with the necessary nutrients.
Of course, I do love them for packing in lunches or grabbing for a quick snack for the kids when we are on the go. Milk Unleashed has provided a bunch of ideas below of how give your child's lunchbox a healthy makeover.
Does Your Child’s Lunchbox Need a Healthy Makeover?
Follow the “Five Cs” from Experts at Milk Unleashed
CHICAGO – (August 14, 2013) – Twinkies may be back on store shelves, but they are not the best thing to put in kids’ lunchboxes! If your child’s lunchbox needs a makeover, follow the Five Cs for tasty and healthy school meals.
1. Convenient – A package of string cheese is just as easy to toss in the lunchbox as a bag of salty, fatty potato chips. So is a box of raisins. And shelf safe milk. Keep some single-serve cartons in the freezer – then nestle one in the lunchbox, and they’ll keep the other items chilled until noon. Since healthy can be so easy, vow to pass on the junk!
2. Colorful – Research shows that kids eat with their eyes, and many colorful foods are healthy options. Like baby carrots, red grapes and bright green edamame. Buy the red or green tortillas for wraps. Or make some pasta salad with colorful corkscrew noodles.
3. Cut Up – Youngsters are much more likely to eat an apple (and other produce) if you cut it up for them. Especially if there is something to dip the wedges in…like peanut butter or yogurt and honey. Try cutting a sandwich in four strips or little triangles. Or make a mini kabob with rolled up lunchmeat, grape tomatoes and chunks of cheese on a toothpick.
4. Cute – Use a cookie cutter to shape a sandwich or vegetable slices. Get some fun printed napkins at the dollar store. Draw a smiley face on a banana. Need more ideas? Click here.
5. Cow – Embrace the cow! Dairy foods are packed with nutrients. Just one carton of shelf safe milk has 9 grams of protein and plenty of calcium and vitamin D. It’s just the right beverage to help kids learn and play all afternoon.
For an entire month’s worth of ideas for your lunchbox makeover, download the latest Cow Calendar.
ABOUT TETRA PAK AND MILK UNLEASHED
Tetra Pak is the world's leading food processing and packaging solutions company, providing safe, innovative and environmentally sound products that each day meet the needs of hundreds of millions of people in more than 170 countries around the world. Our motto, “PROTECTS WHAT’S GOOD™," reflects our vision to make food safe and available, everywhere. In 2012, Tetra Pak launched Milk Unleashed, an educational campaign in the U.S. and Canada to inform families about shelf safe milk and how they can have real, Grade A nutritious milk, anytime, anywhere.
milkunleashed.com |@milkunleashed| facebook.com/milkunleashed
I was sent a variety pack of shelf stable milks for the purpose of reviewing them. I received no monetary compensation. All thoughts, opinions and pictures are my own.