Thursday, October 31, 2013

Thrifty Thursday: Slow Cooker Beans Recipe


Last week, I shared with you about saving money by making baked potatoes in your crock pot and this week I am going to tell you  how simple it is to take dried beans and cook them. Beans are an excellent protein source and vital to a clean eating diet, or should be vital to any diet. I know beans are relatively inexpensive when you can get them for under $1 a can. I often buy them when they are on sale for 2/$1, but I can also buy a pound of dried beans for $1, which will make about 6 cups of beans, which is an even better deal than my sale can beans. And if you buy in bulk, you can lower the price even further.

Now for the directions - super simple!

Directions: Rinse and drain dried beans. Pour beans in to a slow cooker and cover with 8 cups of water. Cook on low for 8 hours.


So, what will you make with your beans? Some burritos? Soup? How about some of my recipes that use beans:




3 comments:

Prototype mama said...

I love my slow cooker! I'm going to have to try this!

Suzi Satterfield said...

Love my slow cooker, but I've never used it to make beans. Mmm now I'm wondering if my grandmother's great northern beans would come out.

Lindsey said...

I love that you included recipes to use these beans with... I honestly just think to eat them as soup beans, never thought about making them and using them for something else! Silly, I know!