Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Try It Tuesday: Painted Spider Pumpkin & Pumpkin Drawings



The painted spider pumpkin craft was the idea of a friend of mine. We like to have lunch, spilling in to afternoon play dates with our youngest kids and we plan some kind of craft for them to do. The morning we made these, my son asked me if we could do a spider craft that day. I told him I didn't know what our friends had planned and unbeknownst to us it was a spider craft.

I also did pumpkin drawings with my kids and just gave them mini pumpkins and a large set of permanent markers (you don't want to use washable because it just won't set on the pumpkin skin) and let them draw.


My son did the above pumpkin pretty much on his own, I just had to carve the holes for the legs to be inserted since we were using sharp scissors.

To make the painted spider pumpkin you need a miniature pumpkin, acrylic black paint (or any other color you want), newspaper, paint brush, scissors, black pipe cleaners, glue, some beads and googly eyes.


  • Have the child paint his pumpkin on top of newspaper and all to dry.
  • When it is dry you can use a scissors to cut some pipe cleaners to size and bend in to shape. 
  • Puncture holes in the sides of the pumpkin to make it easier to insert pipe cleaner legs.
  • Glue on eyes and nose and allow to set before handling.


3 comments:

Unknown said...

These are too cute! I really love all the crafts that you do with your kiddos :) They probably love that special time with you so much. Hopefully I can try this with my 3.5 year old daughter. Thank you for sharing!

Vinma said...

I am actually on the look out for last minute Halloween decoration ideas. I love this craft.. going to try this out! Thank you :)

Mommy K said...

This is a cute spider pumpkin! Well, we don't celebrate Halloween but this is just cutie!