Thursday, June 12, 2014

Fitness Friday: Alternative Races with JostRunning.com


If you remember, last month I shared with you that I am running virtual races through JostRunning.com every month this summer. It really helps to keep me motivated to keep running as a part of my workout routine. Last month I was surprised to see that I finished #3 out of close to 60 people. It doesn't really matter, but it does because I can see my ranking against the other runners and it motivates me to run faster.

This month proceeds from the race will be donated to the National Young Arts Foundation. I don't know much about this foundation but with a young daughter who loves art and declares it is her favorite subject and as a member of my local Art Center, I am in total support of proceeds supporting art for our youth. 


This month, the good people at JostRunning.com wanted us to tell about other ways to complete our races other than running, or running all at once. Yes, I know running is in the name of the company, but that doesn't mean you have to just run.

These are YOUR GOALS! YOUR RACE!

I would like to suggest a few alternatives to completing your races and earning your medal and supporting a good cause. Not all of us are prepared to run a marathon, half marathon, 10K or even a 5K. So set your goal, what can you run and what do you want to try to run?

Do you think you could run a marathon over the course of a month? Perhaps you could walk it? 

Or maybe you want to do a long distance all at once but can't run or walk it, how about biking it?


I ran my 5K already (I'm in 3rd place at the time of writing this post), but I was thinking about that Half Marathon/ Full Marathon Medal they sent me and what I want to do. Yes, I have run a couple half marathons, but I have not trained for that since the fall. I am considering biking it. What about you?

What alternative plan would you do to earn a half marathon or marathon medal?

Next month the races through Jostrunning.com go to support Girls on the Run and I am so happy to see that - encouraging physical fitness among female children. A daughter of a dear friend had just completed a race through this organization and it was such a powerful experience for her and that warms my heart. In August the races will benefit Camp Promise and I am going to need to educate myself more about that organization.

9 comments:

CouponGal said...

not yet - i just started walking....

Marie said...

Ohh to run, jog or even walk fast again. I cannot do it though I have injuries that aren't healed right. :(

MikiHope said...

I would probably attempt to walk-jogging and running are not in the cards for me. But I would have to start slowly as it has been years now that I even attempted a short walk!

Rebecca Swenor said...

I would be able to walk it with resting but never run it. I can't stand to long or my back starts burning.

Mom Knows Best said...

I could walk and run a marathon. It would be tough though.

Unknown said...

I have never done a marathon or even a half marathon. I would have to train for several months to be able to be in the kind of shape to make it...maybe I should start now!

Unknown said...

I started with a walkathon last month. It was really fun and we were supporting a local anti-bullying organization. It was really exciting to see that my daughters and I walked the farthest and we were tired but excited. I will keep doing the walkathons and train slowly for the running. I have to listen to my body.

Debi@The Spring Mount 6 Pack said...

I want to do a 5 k. It is on my to do this year

Unknown said...

My dream is to do a half-marathon. I'm currently just one run away from graduating c25k, but I've been battling Chrons and it's been trickier than I thought to try to get out and run. I have a 5k in July and a 10k in September I'm doing though :) (the 10k will be my third time doing it)