Monday, October 22, 2012

Make It Monday: Crockpot Lentil Spinach Soup

I love crockpot cooking. It can be so convenient to fill it up and leave for the day to run errands, go to work, or take the kids on a field trip and come back to a hot dinner. 




Crockpot Lentil Spinach Soup
2 C lentils (use just one variety or mix them for a more colorful soup)
4 C water
4 C broth
1 onion diced
3 stalk celery, chopped
3 carrots, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 14oz can of chopped tomatoes
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp oregano
1 bunch of spinach, stems removed

* Soak lentils in water for a minute and remove anything that is floating. Discard this water.
* Pour lentils in crockpot and add water and broth.
* Chop vegetables (I like to chop all the vegetables at once in the food processor) & add to crockpot.
* Add tomatoes and seasonings to crockpot and stir.
* Cook on low for 8-10 hours.
* During the last 10 minutes, stir in spinach.
* Serve & sprinkle with cheese (if desired).

1 comment:

Tigerbite said...

Okay, this looks so good and so simple, I am doing this. I love lentils and I just used a crockpot for my first time last night.