Friday, March 16, 2012

Fix It Friday! - Why I Love Gorilla Glue

I had a pile of stuff that needed to be glued! A train car (that I fixed once before with regular wood glue), a boot and a pair of shoes that the sole had become detached on.
Seriously, I don't know what my daughter does to her shoes that  both shoes and  the boot has had the sole become detached. I had repaired the sole on the matching boot previously.

First you need to wipe the area with a wet wash cloth. Make sure to wipe whatever needs to be attached and make sure it is dampened. Water is the key to activating the gorilla glue. After wiping with water, apply the gorilla glue. You only need a small amount and don't get too close to the edge because once the glue is activated it with foam and spread.

I use a plastic knife to spread it on the area, then I can just throw it away when it is done. There is no additional cleanup (which would be really hard to do.) Then be sure to clamp the piece you have glued. I generally allow 24 hours for the glue to cure and harden before using. 
I find gorilla glue to be a MUCH tougher glue than  any other wood glue, plus it can be used  on a variety of surfaces, not just wood.


No comments: