Monday, March 19, 2012

Make It Monday: Yogurt Cheese

Before - it's still yogurt!

I am not sure why I had never heard of this before beginning my journey with clean eating, but now I know and have to share it with my readers that may not know. Yogurt cheese is traditionally used as a substitute for sour cream or cream cheese. It's simple to make and you can customize the thickness.

Directions:

To make it, line a colander with 2 layers of cheesecloth or coffee filters. Pour in your low-fat plain yogurt on top of the cloth/filter and allow to drain for 1-12 hours. Cover with some plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for the desired length of time.

The length of time you allow it to drain depends upon what you want to use it for. If you are using it as a substitute for sour cream you will drain the whey off for a shorter period of time, longer for a cream cheese substitute.

* I found that no matter how long I left it I still had a sour like consistency. I used non-fat plain yogurt and may try it with Greek yogurt and see if that makes a difference in the consistency. I do like it as a sour cream  substitute.

Whey that separates out.

2 comments:

rachel0 said...

I think the Greek Yogurt will have a much more solid consistency--but I haven't tried it yet!

Lena said...

I tried to make cheese out of yogurt or milk before. It's fairly easy and yummy.