Saturday, March 10, 2012

Review: Potty Time DVD and Watch

I am very thankful that I had the opportunity to review the Potty Time DVD and Potty Time Potty Watch. I received both in hopes that I would review them and post them on my blog.

Why am I so thankful?

Well, my son is approaching 2 1/2 years old and it's about time that we begun potty training in our house. When my daughter was potty training at this same age we had some other potty time video that was well loved, so well loved that there was scratches all over it and pretty much cannot be played. So, now enter in Potty Time from the Makers of Signing Time (we loved watching Alex & Leah when my daughter was younger and still watch those early DVDs of Signing Time and catch newer ones on PBS) for my son.

I am not one of those parents that just trains their kids without any aids, I use any aids available because I think it makes it more fun and interesting for all of us. I still have all of the "potty" books I read to my daughter as she trained and now my son is having them read to him. His favorite is the one he likes to call "potty songs". The boy loves his music, which is why these products are perfect. The Potty Time DVD has catchy tunes and comes with a CD (not something extra you buy, the DVD & CD come in the same case) and the Potty Watch plays a variety of different short kids songs and is easy to use.

How do I use the Potty Watch?

The potty watch is simple to use, you just set it to go off every 30, 60 or 90 minutes. When it goes off, you mention it is time to go potty. It only takes 1-2 times before your child associates the song coming from the watch as a cue to go to the bathroom. This is a great signal for your child who might be too busy playing and not pay attention to their bodily cues, plus it takes the pressure off you as a parent from having to watch the clock to remind them.

I do need to mention that my son does not like actually wearing the watch, which is fine. We have it sitting in our living room, where we spend most of the time and when he hears it go off he says "Potty Time" and heads towards the bathroom. I anticipate on attaching it to my purse when we are out & about (hey - I'm a mom, I don't care if there is a musical watch attached to my purse as long as we don't miss this reminder to head to a bathroom.)


You can buy the whole pack that includes the DVD/CD/watch/board book for the sale price that gives you a discount of about $9, but you can also buy the products individually if you only want/need 1 or 2 of them. Our watch was green, but it is also available in blue or pink as well.

Potty training is a work-in-progress for us. But these products have certainly been helpful in helping my son be more comfortable with the idea. The first few times we tried potty training before receiving these products, he was scared but after distracting him with the watch to listen to the different songs while he sat there, he became much more comfortable and began to associate the musical potty watch with going to the bathroom. The DVD has been great because it presents going potty in an entertaining and safe way with the use of animals. The CD has become one that we play in the car and just gives him that familiarity to the songs he hears in the DVD.

All views and opinions expressed in this review are my own. The photograph is my own of the product I received for review. I did not receive monetary compensation to write this review.

1 comment:

Denise Taylor-Dennis said...

I might need something like this soon. My son is almost 2 1/2 he is using the potty at school maybe once a day. Not at home yet though.