Monday, March 12, 2012

Make It Monday - Clean Eating Trail Mix

 I was in need of other options of non-perishable food that I could just have in my purse or gym bag in case I am hung up and not at home. I know  the suggestion is to carry around a cooler or food to eat through the day, but I am a SAHM and am home most of the time for meals, but there are occasions that I am out & about longer than planned and there is a need to eat and I want to set my self up for success in eating clean.
 Making a trail mix is simple. You just need an assortment of unsalted nuts & seeds, unsweetened dried fruits, and some type(s) of crunchy carb (like pretzels, Kashi Go-Lean or another high fiber cereal. Mix them in equal amount. You could add a small amount of mini chocolate chips if you need some sweetness and a treat.

I used cashews, almonds, soynuts, sunflower seeds, cranberries, apricots, golden raisins and Kashi Go-Lean.

I made up a big batch and did one cup of each item so that I would have a mix ready to go for the next couple weeks.

Then just put in individual serving containers or baggies and have in your bag/purse/desk/car in case you need it.

I have also found that LaraBars or the inKind bars are pretty close to being  clean, but I am going to try making my own soon. The label on those bars do list sugar and it would be better if it was a cleaner sweetener.

1 comment:

An Ordinary Housewife said...

Good idea. Then you can put what you want in it. Probably cheaper too. :-) But where's the chocolate? j/k LOL.