Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Review: Woolzies Wool Dryer Balls





I had the opportunity to try out Woolzies Dryer Balls. Two of the main claims this product makes in regards to performance is that is will cut down on drying time by 25-30% and that it is guaranteed to last at least 1,000 loads. Well, since I had to write this review in a timely manner, I can't test the longevity of the product, but I can test out if my drying time shortens.

My first loads I used them on were towels, sheets and children's clothing. Those loads were cut by about 30%. So, I am impressed with that claim and results. By shortening the length of drying time, we can save on electric costs and electric consumption, thus saving some money. I once figured out that it cost me 50 cents per load in the dryer (that was a couple years ago, with increasing energy costs it could be more, but for the sake of doing some saving calculations, I will use this number.) So, I would be saying 12.5-15 cents per load. And if these dryer balls last for at least 1000 loads, I will be saving $125-$150 in energy costs a year.


You can buy Woolzies from their website for a cost of $34.95 (plus s/h) for the 6 balls (you use all balls in the dryer at once.) But you no longer have to buy dryer sheets. If you were purchasing an eco-friendly brand of dryer sheets (for the sake of calculations, I will use the cost on Amazon for a box of 80 sheets of an eco-friendly brand for $4). To Dry 1000 loads with dryer sheets it would cost you $50.

Amazon sells Woolzies too! At the time of this post they are actually $33.95 with free Prime Shipping. So, if you bought them from Amazon right now, you would end up saving $16 a year in costs of dryer sheets.

So, now you can see that you can save up to $166 over the course of 1000 loads of laundry in energy costs and dryer sheet costs. You could save even more if they last longer than the guaranteed 1000 loads.


I have even mentioned the environmental impact of Woolzies and need to share that with you. They are pure wool and are free of chemicals, toxins, and plastics that are in other dryer balls or dryer sheets. They are hypo-allergenic and are good to use for people with skin sensitivities. The wool is not supposed to shed from the balls.

Another thing - since these are handmade wool balls, they are not going to break apart or melt like other dryer balls can. Wool will continue to felt and keep it's ball shape.

I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

We really love our Woolzies Dryer Balls also! Thanks for sharing your review and pictures :) I always like to see people's different views.

Suzi Satterfield said...

We love our Woolzies, too! Unfortunately, my son also loves them... so I'm missing a dryer ball. Go figure.

Mom of Two said...

Haha! That's funny Suzi!

Michelle said...

I love that you did the math, it really convinced me to get some Woolzies. I'm a sucker for saving money... Thank you!

Unknown said...

I really want to try these!

Lame Shrill Owl said...

I like to do the math on things because I want to know how much my time is worth.