Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Try It Tuesday: Butterfly Life Cycle Hand Print Art


Time for another fun and easy project I did with my kids. We were on a butterfly theme which wouldn't be complete without a hand print butterfly. But we took it further and made finger print caterpillars and chrysalis's. I always like to do hand prints crafts because it can be a kind of keepsake, plus you can see which is done by my 7 year old and which is from the 3 year old based on the hand print size. My son had to make a pink and purple butterfly because right now pink is his favorite color (because it WAS sister's), which is why she chose to make her butterfly blue and green. LOL!


If you are looking for other butterfly life cycle crafts, then try out the Easy Paper Plate Butterfly Craft I shared last week or this Coffee Filter Butterfly Project. And don't forget to check out my Preschool at Home Theme of The Very Hungry Caterpillar, which is loaded with activities and art projects!


I started out having them paint the grass on the construction paper and then paint the tree. If you see my paint trays above, they are just styrofoam containers that held fruit that would have gone in the trash.


Next I had them make their finger print chrysalis followed by the fingerprint caterpillar. After I wiped their fingers clean, they switched colors (because who has ever saw a caterpillar that was the same color that it was when it turned in to a butterfly?) and painted the palms of their hands.

We glued in to place colored popsicle sticks for the butterfly bodies and used some glitter glue for antennas on the butterfly and caterpillar and of course we glued on some googly eyes on both the caterpillar and butterfly.



4 comments:

Unknown said...

Those butterflies are beyond adorable! I can't wait to try this on Thursday when I'm not working and home with my babes! I know they will love it - especially because both of them love butterflies :) thanks for the inspiration, mama!

Michelle F. said...

Looks like a really fun project! I'm going to have to try this with my 4 year old!

singerinkitchen said...

great idea! Love this.

Debra Rutt said...

I love this craft - not just the butterfly but also that caterpillar was so cute. THis is great for a rainy day or even an outdoor craft idea!