Friday, October 10, 2014

DIY Pottery Buttons


I first saw some pottery buttons at JoAnn Fabrics with a price tag of $3.99 a piece and while that isn't crazy expensive, I really liked the idea that I could make my buttons as well as my hat. I made a variety of buttons for 2 reasons, I didn't know what would look best on the hat that was still in my head at the time (obviously, I finished the hat in the meantime while they was being fired and glazed) and I wanted to have a bunch of buttons to have some friends choose between for a women's knitting/crocheting night.

I plan to make some more buttons, but these are a start. I will probably get to some more after I get some pottery Christmas presents done. Doing pottery is so much fun and I love creating things out of dirt, but it is time consuming and since I have to go in to the art center to use the pottery studio and they have limited open studio hours, it takes a while to get projects done, but they are getting done and I look forward to sharing more with you. I will be sharing a tutorial on how to make the slouchy loom knit hat in a future post as well.

10 comments:

Christy Maurer said...

I love those! If you make them and sell them, let me know! So so cute!

Leelo said...

These look so cute! I had no idea you can do them yourself.

MikiHope said...

It is so cool that you are able to make your own pottery buttons or other pottery items using a public kiln! Can't wait to see what else you create.

Elizabeth Obih-Frank said...

Ah I also feel that some buttons are overpriced so thanks for sharing this!

Unknown said...

They are super cute. Fyi, if you shop Joannes on a regular basis sign up for the ads and emails. They send out 40% off coupons all the time. If you plan right, you can use coupons to get your craft supplies. The 40% off is for 1 item but still every little bit helps.

Rebecca Swenor said...

I love the idea of making your own buttons. You can get very creative with them too. Thanks for sharing.

stephanickety said...

I love the idea of making your own buttons. I've done it once or twice to match an outfit. Your buttons came out beautifully!

Katrina Kroeplin said...

i have never thought of doing them myself. love it!

Unknown said...

These pottery buttons look cute, I'd love to have something like them.

Kristie said...

Wow!! Your buttons look awesome! What a special touch! I could never do that. You go girl!!! kristiedonelson(at)gmail(dot)com Thank you.