Sunday, October 26, 2014

Laurie Berkner Solo! Concert in the Twin Cities


My kids were so excited were able to go to the Laurie Berkner Solo! Concert at Beth El Synagogue in the Twin Cities to post a review. I mentioned in my review post of "The Ultimate Laurie Berkner Band" CD, her latest CD release, that we have been Laurie Berkner fans for about 5 years now and this was such a fun activity to do with my children. I love being able to include them in helping me review when it is possible. During the time we talked with her during our short Meet & Greet after the concert, she mentioned that she has a Christmas CD and you better believe that will be something we are getting. The CD is called A Laurie Berkner Christmas CD. Maybe St. Nick will even bring it for the kids.

Her next concert will be on November 8th in Boston, MA where she will be performing with special guest Susie Lambert and she will continue to perform around the East Coast in NY, PA, NC, NH and NJ through February and then finishing up her tour in California in April.



Just wanted to give a little plug for Beth El Synagogue (which is a beautiful worship place and place to attend a concert) - they will be having a "Little Mermaid" dinner theatre in November on November 22nd and 23rd. Tickets are only $10 and $5 and that includes the dinner and show. You can order your tickets here.


When we entered, we bought the kids some egg shakers so they could have even more fun shaking things up at the concert. We were given a program and some picture postcards (the kids got their postcards signed by Laurie with a personalized message.)


My daughter just showing off her items she had. She was excited to be there and anxiously waiting for the concert to start when I took this picture.


This is a collage of pictures I took during the concert. All the kids there seemed to love when all the beach balls came out and they got to hit them in to the air to each other and have a party. My son couldn't help himself but get up and dance around to "Shake Your Body Down" and shake everything out. He just loves that song! My daughter was constantly adding to the concert by shaking her egg shaker and my husband felt disillusioned when he heard her sing Laurie has a "Pig on Her Head". He has heard me sing this tune MANY times to my kids over the years and changing the words and he thought I made it up. I never claimed to have made it up, but I guess he never heard anyone but me sing it to the kids so he thought it was made up by me.



This short little video I took of is when Laurie was singing "Bottle Caps" to the kids after asking my son what his favorite songs were. He told her "Bottle Caps", "Cookie Bakers of the Night" and "Shake Your Body Down". My daughter told her that her favorites were "Cookie Bakers of the Night", "I'm a Mess" and "Rocketship Run". I thought it was so cool that she just started singing to them while she signed their cards and our CD, The Ultimate Laurie Berkner Band.


It was so awesome that we had the chance to meet her. Although this sets the stage with the kids that they might expect that they always get to meet the artist after the concert. LOL! She was so great with the kids (would you expect any less from a kids musician?) and she asked my daughter if she was getting to old to listen to her music and my daughter told her she wasn't (my daughter is 8 1/2 and I love that she still loves Laurie Berkner music, plus I do too!) and Laurie gave her a little hug and said "I like you!" That just made my daughter light up and I thought it was such a sweet moment.


This is my favorite picture I took at the concert when we met her. It looks like my son is having a stare-off with Laurie and my daughter in the middle wondering what she is supposed to do and feeling awkward. That is totally not what is happening, I just happened to snap the camera at this moment.

After we left and were on our way home, my son reminded me he wanted to ask Laurie what her favorite song is. So, Laurie - If you happen to read this - What is your favorite song?

9 comments:

Julie said...

How cool was that she sung to your kids! I looked at the concerts and there is one a couple hours away from us, but it might be a fun weekend holiday trip for us to go see it. Thanks for the heads up!

Unknown said...

Awe, what a great experience for your kids! Looks like it was a fun concert!

mryjhnsn said...

I just adore her! My kids do, too. I hope she makes it to Cleveland one day soon.

Maddi'sMommy said...

What a cool experience for you and your kiddos! :)

Mom Knows Best said...

What a great concert for your children. I have never heard of her before off to Youtube.

Brooke @ Blushing Noir said...

So cool. Her voice is lovely <3

Cristi said...

It looks like you and your kids had a great time! How fun that she sang to the kids? I bet they will cherish that memory!

Laurie B. said...

Wow, thanks so much for the wonderful post! That concert was so moving for me - the energy in the audience was amazing and there was so much joy that day! I feel very lucky to know so many kids and parents are enjoying my music. And meeting you and your family was a total pleasure! (please tell them I say hi.) I'm so glad you came to the show and made the time to come see me afterwards. Here is my answer for H: My favorite song to sing changes all the time, but if you had asked me when I saw you on Sunday I would have said "Shake Your Body Down" (one of your faves too!) because the kids in the audience were having such a good time. It made me feel so good to look out and see you, and the rest of the kids, acting it out and dancing and singing with me, that I just loved performing that one. Knowing that other people are happy when I'm singing a song makes it feel pretty special. love, Laurie

Anonymous said...

That sounds like a fun night out for the whole family!