Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Try It Tuesday: Hand Print Pottery Ornament


This was actually last year's ornament that my kids made to give to grandparents and aunts and uncles. Each year they make a new ornament to give as part of their present to their grandparents and godparents and for our home as well. We are big on making homemade presents around here.

This year we have some other ornaments planned, and I have a scheduled blog post to share with you the one my son made this year. Although that post won't happen until December 18th, but you will still have time to use that idea if you like it. I will give you a hint, it is a hand print one again. He is still a preschooler so still has cute little hands. My daughter will be making a different ornament than her brother this year.



To make these ornaments, I did a drawing of each of the kids' hands and then I traced it out on to rolled out clay. I brought the kids back in to the studio with me when it was time to apply the glaze and I let them paint underglaze over them however they wanted and then we dipped them in clear glaze.


Their hands only stay little for so long. Who wouldn't want to keep a memento of this cute little hand and their handwriting on it as well. We just used permanent marker to have them write on their own names and the year,

5 comments:

Cambria said...

This is such a cute idea and keepsake!

Edge Of Insanity said...

Great idea for such a cute ornament! Very creative!

Anne Nicks said...

This is an adorable keepsake! and they will make great gifts for relatives as well!

Danielle K said...

Very cute - would love to make one with my son for a great keepsake :)

Uplifting Families said...

This is a cute idea. :)