Friday, December 6, 2013

Fitness Friday: Aches and Pains

I'm not complaining, I'm just stating, I kinda messed up something on the back side of my legs by my knees. It started while I was training for the half marathon, but I just pushed through and ignored it. Nothing bad, but enough that I haven't been running more than 3-4 miles and didn't run the past 2 weeks at all. That's not to say that I haven't been working out. I still have been going to yoga, strength and bootcamp classes, zumba and kick it up class. It doesn't hurt to walk. Ironically, the time it hurts the most is when I am sitting and cross. But crossing my legs when I sit is a bit of habit and I often forget until I uncross them. Anyone ever have this issue?

It normally doesn't bother me in all the classes I go to, but the other day we were doing lost of turning in zumba and I realized I was neglecting to wear my dance shoes (see picture to the right) which has less surface making contact with the floor and the contact areas are smoother than on the running shoes I would have worn.

I used to use these zumba slips I made over my running shoes until I found these shoes to buy. These shoes may not have the stability for my flat feet that my running shoes have.

So, I'm taking a little break from running for the time being, but not from exercise. I don't know why I felt like sharing this. I just didn't want to give the impression that being fit and healthy is always easy. It's lots of hard work with struggles at times, but I am in the best shape (aside from a few aches and pains) than I probably have ever been, the most muscles I have ever seen visible on my body, that's for sure. Time to go sweat!

7 comments:

The Yogi Vegetarian said...

I run (my only form of exercise at the moment) and I have had the same thing for the past few months. When I run 5k or more, the next day I can't sit cross-legged without it really hurting. I now run only 2 miles at a time, but every day (6 out of 7) and this keeps it at bay but it comes back if I overdo things. I find if I run faster it doesn't happen, but if I'm going slower it comes on after about 10 minutes.

Lame Shrill Owl said...

Interesting......I was running faster when I was training for my half, but I feel it more now when I am running slower....

Thanks for sharing your story, gives me something to think about.

Unknown said...

I am still being taught the importance of proper footwear for exercise! I'm currently in a ton of pain from not wearing shoes around the house (and wearing flip-flops TOO much), as I have high arches. I am trying to rehab the ligament damage done to one of my feet -- the entire middle of my foot and my entire heal are nothing but sharp pain when flexed. Proper shoes are a MUST!

Unknown said...

I wore the wrong shoes once and now have shin splints everytime I run. It's a tough uphill challenge to get get fit and healthy. Thanks for sharing

Shary said...

I ran once, for two weeks, then fell pregnant and decided I shouldn't push myself. Now I'm back to feeling bad about myself. I'm hoping to make the change again in 2014.

Dianna said...

omg -- it is hard, and then when you hurt yourself in someway or another I feel its harder to keep on keeping on with the exercise. I personally have never gone through this mine is the charley horse and cramps. and I can feel them start and try to get through it but gosh it hurts... Be careful with you!!

Unknown said...

I can identify with this so much.. I have the same thing!