Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Try It Tuesday: Hand Print Christmas Tree


I decided recently I would like to make some keepsake decorations that I will put up from year to year in a spot in my dining room. At Halloween we made this 16x20 sized picture of a hand print as well as a foot print. For Christmas, each child made their own 8x10 picture.


We had the neighbor girl over for a couple hours, so we had her make one to bring home to her parents as well. She was very proud of herself and kept telling me that her mommy was going to love it so much.


I painted the canvas of each of them and then let the kids to their own. I think it would have looked better if my 7 year old had a larger canvas, her hands are kind of large to make a Christmas tree on an 8x10 canvas. She also decided she wanted to paint garland on hers.



The little hands of my neighbor girl made a more compact tree. They used their fingers to make the ornaments and a star shaped sponge to put on the star (my daughter did her's without a stamp.)


I wanted "silver and gold decorations" (do I have you singing that song from Rudolph yet?)  so I painted the backgrounds different for each of my kids. My son thought his needed a pink star too.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Adorable! We did ones similar. I love handprint art!

Leila said...

What a cute idea! I will have to do this with my kids!

Jaime @ Slightly Steady said...

How adorable! I love this idea!

jheylo said...

How nice! THis will keep the kids get occupied and have an artistic activity too.

Mommy Pehpot said...

oh this is perfect as my son's school is requiring him to bring a hand made Christmas card! Thank you for sharing!

Unknown said...

two years ago I made one in canvas with my kids hands! They want to do it again this year. The little one doesn't remember!

mail4rosey said...

What a fun craft to make with the kids!

Unknown said...

So cute! I should definitely do something like this with my son. I just haven't felt really festive this year. :( (My hubby's living in a different state for a few months for a Navy school)

Dianna said...

awwww!! this is so cute-- and they look as if they were having a great time at it too!! What a wonderful keep sakes to show off , maybe even frame and hang during the holidays--thanks for sharing

Megan Sutliff said...

I love this idea!! So doing this with my 2 kids, thanks!

Nicole Fabian said...

These are so cute! I use to do something like it with my kindergarten students but need to do it with MY kids ;)