Monday, January 20, 2014

Make It Monday: Traditional Lentil Soup




Were you expecting another slow cooker meal from me with this one? Sorry to disappoint, but I do love my slow cooker. Lentil soup cooks up so quick that you don't need to plan ahead and have it cook all day. With only 45 minutes of cook time and about 10 minutes of prep time, this is an easy weeknight meal.


Traditional Lentil Soup
1 C dry lentils, rinsed and drained
5 C broth
2 medium carrots, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp dried parsley
1 tsp basil
1/2 tsp rubbed sage
1/8 ground pepper

Directions:

  • Rinse and drain lentils and put in a large pot with broth.
  • Chop vegetables. I use my food processor
  • Combine vegetables and seasonings in the pot and stir.
  • Bring to a boil.
  • Reduce to simmer and cover.
  • Cook for 40-45 minutes.
  • Enjoy!



12 comments:

Unknown said...

I love lentils and it's the perfect time of year for soup! Thanks for sharing, YUM!

Unknown said...

One of my favorite things to keep on hand is lentils, plus they're cheap!! This soup looks delicious!!!

mystylespot said...

I love this! Can't wait to try this recipe! I'm a vegetarian and it could be hard to find good meatless recipes! Thank u so much for sharing!

Unknown said...

we are expecting snow tomorrow this sounds like I need to stock up on yummy soups

Edge Of Insanity said...

I can't say I've ever tried lentils, but I am willing to try this soup just because it looks so delicious!

Unknown said...

I absolutely love lentil soup, and this one sounds delicious! Lentils are very healthy and easy to cook.

Lexie Lane said...

This looks really healthy and i feel like I could already taste the comfort! Thanks for the recipe!

Debi@ The Spring Mount 6 pack said...

I love lentil soup. It is so good for you.

Czjai said...

Perfect for the cold weather!

Unknown said...

I love soup! Thanks for sharing your recipe. I’m going to try that. ^_^

Anonymous said...

Ooooh my hubby would LOVE this - thanks for sharing!!

Unknown said...

I just tried lentils and love them. Will be adding this to my recipe list.

Michelle F.