Thursday, January 23, 2014

Thrifty Thursday: Simple Ribbon Hair Bands


These are simple to make and you could easily hand stitch them if you don't have a machine. You just need a short amount of ribbon (about 9-10 inches) and an elastic headband, some pins, thread and a needle (or sewing machine). This could be a good use for any leftover ribbon you might have from other projects or if you had ribbon that was wrapped around holiday packages that you saved.

I bought these elastic head bands from the dollar store. They came as a pack of 4 for $1. And then I cut one of them in half on only used the half length, so you can get 8 ribbon headbands out of those elastic bands.



Pin you elastic ends to your ribbon ends. I folded the ribbon over the elastic so that you couldn't see the white elastic piece in between. I machine stitched mine together which made it such a quick project.


Here I am wearing it to the Little Black Dress Affair (a fundraising event) that had a theme of vintage. I was dressed to look 60's-ish. The big hair in back with a flat front that was separated by a ribbon or head band was very classic of the 60's. You can also see the earrings I made to wear to this event in another blog post.


Here you can see a side view of what the ribbon head band looks like. The elastic part is under your hair and barely noticeable.


14 comments:

krystal said...

Very cute and SO simple! I pinned!

Unknown said...

What a simple but neat hairband. You can make one to match everything you own for a fraction of the cost especially if you buy ribbon on sale.

Edge Of Insanity said...

That is so easy! I might have to try and make different colors and styles for my Spring outfits!

First Time Mom and Losing It said...

That looks really nice. I love how you can fully customize it.

mystylespot said...

These look really cute! I love how you styled it! I need to get back into head bands!

Southern Rambles said...

very cute and very simple! Awesome idea. I need to make some of these for my daughter.. she LOVES headbands.

MrsTee said...

really great look and seems like they will stay in place...Thanks for sharing!

MrsTee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jhoveleen said...

Great idea and it seems easy. I might try to make one for myself.

ReviewsSheRote said...

Sweet craft--I have a hard time with headbands like these because the hair pops out so ez

Family Travels on a Budget said...

So clever!!! And frugal. Love this idea. I think it would be great for a girls' sleepover activity!

Czjai said...

I have something similar, but I got mine for $1.50 at Forever21. Haha! :)

Kathy Balman said...

What a terrific idea. I need to make some of these for my daughter.

The Hawkinson's said...

Love the simple craft/gift idea. May try and whip some together for Valentine's day!