Saturday, January 18, 2014

Slow Cooker Saturday: Creamy Spinach & Mushroom Soup



I came up with this recipe because I had both fresh spinach and mushrooms to use up and I really wanted something creamy and garlicky like creamed spinach. When I first told my daughter what was in the crock pot for supper she reminded me she didn't like mushrooms that much and asked if there was something else she could have instead. Once she tried it she said it didn't taste like mushroom at all and I chopped the mushrooms small enough that she was ok with them and proceeded to eat her entire bowl and ask for seconds. I was very pleased with how the recipe tasted. It tasted just how I envisioned it tasting and that made me happy. Sometimes when you make up a recipe, you just never know if it will turn out or not. This turned out great!

Creamy Spinach and Mushroom Crock Pot Soup
2 T olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
4 oz fresh mushroom, chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 C whole wheat flour
6 oz fresh spinach, chopped
4 C broth
1 C coconut cream
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp ground pepper
1/4 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp basil
1 tsp parsley

Directions:

  • Saute onion, mushrooms, and garlic in olive oil on the stove top until onions are translucent
  • Sprinkle flour on top of the sauteed vegetables and coat evenly
  • In a 3 qt slow cooker, mix broth and coconut cream
  • Stir floured vegetables in to the broth mixture
  • Add remaining ingredients and stir
  • Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours
  • Enjoy!


8 comments:

mail4rosey said...

Sounds like a great way to get a healthy dose of spinach!

Unknown said...

I love spinach. My children do as well. I never would have thought to add it to soup. Hmm, definitely something I am going to look into.

Unknown said...

I'm not a fan of mushrooms, but my husband loves them. So I might make this and put it in the freezer so he can eat something once baby #2 comes.

Debi@ The Spring Mount 6 pack said...

My mom would love this. She loves spinach and mushrooms.

Mommy K said...

I am sure this is yummy and totally healthy too!

Anonymous said...

Oh me and my hubby would love this, thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

I would love this not sure if the kids would. thanks for the idea.

Shay @ Whine Less, Breathe More said...

This sounds wonderful!