Saturday, January 25, 2014

Slow Cooker Saturday: Eggplant & Lentil Chili


If you are looking for a chili recipe that does not use beans or does not use meat, then this is your recipe! Lentils are used as a change from the traditional beans and eggplant offers a meaty texture. Both the lentils and eggplant keep the calories and fat low while increasing fiber. This recipe will fit perfectly in an Clean Eating or Paleo diet.

Eggplant and Lentil Chili
2 stalks celery, diced
1 small onion, chopped
2 jalepenos, diced and seeds removed
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 T mild chili powder
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
3/4 tsp sea salt
1 cup dried lentils, rinsed (I used orange lentils, but you could use whichever variety you wish)
4 cups vegetable broth
3 C tomatoes, chopped (canned or fresh)
2 pounds eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1/2 C fresh cilantro, minced

Directions:
Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
Enjoy!

10 comments:

Liza said...

That looks tasty! I've never tried cooking lentils and I'm not sure if that's easy to find where I live. If I don't, I will have to settle for beans, but I'm definitely bookmarking this recipe. Thanks for sharing!

Elisebet F said...

I love lentils! I'd never think to put eggplant in chili. Great idea!

Heather said...

good supper idea for these cold nights!

Lisa said...

Looks Delicious Thanks For Sharing!!

Unknown said...

That looks really good and hearty. I love lentils.

Michelle F.

Unknown said...

Yum! I love eggplant and lentils. I never thought to put the two together.

Heather said...

that recipe sounds really tasty! I have only ever used eggplant in moussakka, but I think I need to try this!

Unknown said...

We love eggplant and we love chili! I never even thought about combining the 2. YUM! Thank you!

Yona Williams said...

This is different. I've been looking for new slow cooker recipes and this one fits into my dietary restrictions. Pinning it!

Lavende & Lemonade said...

Oooh, two of my favorite things, in chili- another favorite! Definitely needing to try this one.