Thursday, October 25, 2012

Preschool At Home & a Little Bit About Me

I stay home full time with my kids, so I get to spend a lot of time with my son while my daughter is in school. We never just sit around watching TV all day; I'm just not made that way and besides, it's just not a good thing to do.




My son is too young for preschool and so I do preschool-at-home with him. It is something I did with my daughter before & during preschool. We are our children's first teachers and will continue to teach them throughout their lives. But I digress; I am not trying to get on a soapbox right now.


Here is a picture of me with the kids while camping. Not a very flattering picture of me since I have no makeup on and am dressed in my camping gear, but it's the real & natural me.

Part of my preschool-at-home with my son is to do crafts/activities/worksheets/puzzles/songs/games/play that encourage his development of fine motor, gross motor, communication, and academic skills.



So, when you see projects on here of my kids doing them, you also see THEIR finished project. Not a mom making something that looks perfect for a blog post (yes, I see those projects & pin them because they are still good ideas and I can have realistic expectations of what my child's finished product will look like.


I don't follow a specific curriculum but I do have several workbooks I use. I try to continually reinforce learning his colors, letters, numbers but I only give him 1-2 worksheets a day. Often though, he will ask for more. He really likes to do them, especially when his sister has her own homework to do. But I also reinforce learning those academic concepts by incorporating in activities and games and projects that get him using different motor skills at the same time.

I also include lots of stories and songtime, interactive time with other kids, physical play, pretend play and yes, I we do watch educational shows. Most shows we watch are on PBS.

And I don't stop teaching my daughter, yes she is in school and has homework and reading charts and tests and spelling tests to practice for, but she loves crafting at home and taking field trips with us when she can. We should never stop learning.


You know what is funny, this was supposed to be a post about some last minute Halloween Crafts (yes, that will still be written & posted next week) but I just decided to go with this post and let know a little bit about me and what I do.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Love this post, Jessica! I do similar things with Rachel in the mornings.
We went on a hike to sakatah, where Rae and I found a magical trail, and followed all the clues to find a unicorn. Whie the unicorn remained elusive, we saw many clues that one was near, including a blue feather, and red leaves the shape of hoof-rints!

Mom of Two said...

I would love to hear about this unicorn hunt. Is this something the state park does or did you come up with it? I love the idea. I think my fairy lover would love it.