Thursday, March 27, 2014

Thrifty Thursday: Create Your Own Mickey Mouse Hair Accessories

How about one more Disney post this week! I made my kids their own Mickey and Minnie Ears on a headband for our recent Disney World Trip. I did look at how much the ears would cost me while I was there and there was many, many varieties of ears to choose from and it was going to cost a minimum of $15 per ear set and going up in price from there. A lot of souvenirs were not in our budget at Disney since just once day there costs $400 in admission for our family. My kids were just as happy with their homemade ears as they would have been with ones we bought there and I spent $1.50 to make them each a pair and 2 pairs to giveaway at our #Disneyside party. I do want to note that I saw so many ears being worn by parents because kids didn't want to wear them anymore or riding in the bottoms of strollers.


To start off I just cute pairs of ears our of felt by making this shape. This way when you fold if over the headband it can be easily secured together and matched up.

Then I placed a piece of hot glue in the center and glue the center to the headband first, then I placed hot glue on one of the insides of the ears and pressed them in to place. Repeat this with each ear. I didn't make my ears too big, so they didn't flop over. I bought a 4-pack these headbands at the Dollar Tree and 2 pieces of felt for 50-cents for both from JoAnn Fabrics.

For my daughter Minnie ears I used some red ribbon with white polka dots. I tie a bow on the top of the headband between the ears. I did put a bit of hot glue in the center too.



This was a fun and cute little barrette I made for my daughter. I bought the barrettes at Dollar Tree, but the buttons and ribbon were from my stash. Just a bit of hot glue in the right places and I had this cute little  barrette.


One last barrette I made for my daughter was this ribbon one of Minnie Mouse. These were created using alligator clips, ribbon and hot glue from my stash, so I didn't spend any additional money to make these for her.

15 comments:

Heather said...

we're planning a trip to disneyland this summer...this will be great for when we go!

Ashley said...

I am planning my daughter's 2nd birthday party, which is Minnie themed, and these would be perfect! Thanks!!

Unknown said...

My daughter would LOVE hair accessories like these. I know what I plan on doing for her birthday. :-D

Kathy said...

So cute!! Thanks for sharing!

Julie said...

Super cute ideas. Look pretty easy to make. My favorite is the button one.

Anonymous said...

Such a neat idea. I love making our own stuff. I even thought of buying T-shirts her on sale and then wearing them on our trip to Disney World. Way to be frugal mom!

Unknown said...

Your Mickey and Minnie ears came out adorable! And, I really love the barettes! Smart thinking to make your own Disney goodies (the kids usually don't care)...and it will save you a bundle!

Unknown said...

Those are really cute ideas. I love the button minnie.

Michelle F.

Denise Gabbard said...

What a great idea-- so much better than buying them there. I really love the little hair clips made out of buttons.

Unknown said...

This is such a great idea! I want to make this the next time I go to Disneyland.

MikiHope said...

Adorable--and I am sure you saved quite a bit of money by making your own Mickey, Minnie Ears accessories.

Mharms said...

My daughter would love this. She likes participating in crafting too.

renblogger said...

AWWWW <3 Super cute and I have some friends who will LOVE this post!

Jamie said...

Love the little barrettes - those are adorable!!

ReviewsSheRote said...

The ears are cute--but that button clip is a WINNER!!