Thursday, March 13, 2014

Thrifty Thursday: Pop Your Own Popping Corn



Sure, you probably don't have cobs of corn you grew and dried over the winter right now, if you did you were probably already popping your popcorn. But if not, why not plant some popping corn in your garden this spring. Allow your corn to dry in a dry location (it may take a month depending upon your humidity level to be dried all the way) and then pop it in a paper bag in the microwave.




Yes, on the cob! Just put the cob in a paper bag and press the popcorn button but be sure to hang around and listen for sounds that it has stopped popping. Only pop one cob at a time. 


So, who is excited to grow your own popcorn this summer!

13 comments:

Karen Dawkins said...

Popcorn is my all-time favorite meal… yes, meal! I could live on popcorn and coffee. Almost.

What kind of corn is popcorn? That's a serious question!

Scott said...

I remember trying to pop home-grown corn when I was a kid, until I found out it was field corn...didn't turn out so well.

Unknown said...

I love this idea, I grow non GMO, non Hybrid corn every year and never thought to make popcorn from it. I am going to preserve my corn kernels this year.

Unknown said...

That would be fun! My son could eat popcorn for lunch everyday if I would let him

ReviewsSheRote said...

love fresh popped popcorn!

Erin S said...

Sounds like a long time to wait, although I suppose it would be highly worth the wait. Nothing better than fresh popcorn!

Jamie said...

How fun!! This would be great to do with our son...love it!!

renblogger said...

COOL!

Unknown said...

I hope we have enough space to plant something like this - at least we can enjoy harvesting our own.

Bibiana Bailey said...

I am. I am. I am totally excited to pop my own popping corn this summer :)

Julie said...

This is something we haven't tried growing yet - but my kids would love this! may have to try this year!

Anonymous said...

Bacon Caesar and Asian. mljcwsu at yahoo dot com

Unknown said...

I simply cannot wait to get started with this! My grandchildren love popcorn and I would feel so much better growing our own non GMO corn.