Monday, May 12, 2014

Make It Monday: Tator Tot Hotdish


Tator Tot Hotdish is a bit of an iconic Minnesota Dish and a major comfort food dish. There are so many variations on how people make it, but the main ingredient is Tator Tots! It's a complete balanced me in a hot dish. :) Sure, you could add a salad on the side, perhaps a fruited jello salad if you are really want to be iconic Minnesotan.

Tator Tot Hotdish
1 pound ground meat, browned (I used ground turkey)
1 pound frozen veggies
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1/2 can of milk
salt and pepper, to taste
1 pkg. tator tots
shredded cheddar cheese (optional)

Directions:
Brown meat. Whisk together milk and soup in the bottom of a large greased casserole dish or 13x9 baking pan. Stir meat and veggies, as well as salt and pepper in to the soup mixture. Top with tator tots. Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes

Optional: Add a layer of shredded cheese either on top of or under the tator tots

I don't add the cheese, but I know when someone people ask what kind of tator tot hotdish a person make they want to know if you make it with cheese or not.

Enjoy!

11 comments:

Brooke Showalter said...

This sounds tasty! I love that it includes ingredients that I always have available. Thanks for sharing!

Kristie said...

I have never had this but it looks good. I would add cheese for sure. I'll give the recipe to my husband! He's the cook around here. He's a wonderful keeper! kristiedonelson(at)gmail(dot)com Thank you!

Lexie Lane said...

This actually looks quite delicious! Never thought of making anything like this with tator tots.

Dallas 6th RS said...

Wow.. I never heard of this before! You're so creative!

Rose said...

The dishes looks so yummy...is this is your own recipe...nice...wanna try it...

Kero Pinkihan said...

It's my first time to hear ta tor tor recipe and it sounds simple I can follow it. Especially that Hubby enjoys turkey meat from time to time to break his lamb shank addiction

MikiHope said...

This sounds easy enough to make and sounds tasty as well. Think I might just whip up a batch-with fruited jello on the side!

ladyashiri said...

Ha! I happen to have most of these on hand... in they go! Savory...

ReviewsSheRote said...

I can see my kids scarfing it downs!

Julie said...

That looks so good and so comforting. I have never had it but I think I want to try your recipe.

umyk9blogger said...

OMG this dish was the best and I tweaked it by adding jalapeno peppers, and pepperjack cheese,YUMMIE WITH A KICK